Now for those who read my last Blog (in other words, all of you :) you'll remember that last week was pretty hard...okay it was hell. 6th period was so chatty and inadvertently disrespectful that I was really frustrated. Well, for as hard (and educational) as last week was, this week with 6th period was the most rewarding.
This week we finally got into the "meat" of Huck Finn. On Tuesday, I decided we were going to have a discussion on Twain's use of the N-word, dialect, censorship and whether or not the book should be taught in public school. (I know, a hefty agenda for 50 minutes!)
1st period was typical, I suppose. They said some insightful things about racism, historical texts, and the N-word, but nothing could prepare me for what happened 6th period.
After reading a primary source from 1885 which banned Twain's book, I had the students break up and debate either side. At first the debate was going pretty standard...students were using their own opinions and evidence from the articles I had them read as groups. But then something happened...instead of going back and forth (point -- rebuttal -- counterpoint etc) the students started to abandon the debate in and of itself and talk about their emotional connections to the N-word and other racial slurs.
As new teachers, we are always told to be flexible and this was a test that I really think I passed. When this started happening, I almost said to the students "Okay guys, let's get back to the articles and the debate," but I didn't. In reality, the articles didn't mean anything in comparison to the "realness" my students were giving me.
Instead I simply said "Okay we've kind of gotten away from the debate but that's fine, I want to keep going with this." That way, the students knew we could talk about this and not feel like I was itching to accomplish my original objective for them.
Anyway, students were so respectful and though they disagreed at some points, almost every student talked about their own experiences with derogatory language. The stories these kids openly shared made me want to cry or just hug them. It was truly amazing...this is why I want to be an English teacher!
At points it got heated, but it was always controlled. They showed so much emotion and for the first time I think they all felt safe in the class.
I will not take full or even any credit really because this discussion was perpetuated by my students. But I will say that I guided their discussion and for the first time experienced real FLOW. It reassured me that this is what I want to do, and these are the kind of conversations I should always push my students to have.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Krysten- sounds good!I'm so glad that your class was able to handle that kind of discussion. I'm also glad that your class surprised you. I always think it's interesting when classes and students surprise you. Hope your 4th week goes just as good as this one did and that you keep FLOWING
ReplyDeleteI think the true objective of your lesson (the one that perhaps you did not realize when selected the article and prepared to immerse your students in the debate) was to get them to really connect with the material in a way that is most significant and profound for them. Oftentimes, as a high school English teacher, I found myself building a structure (like a debate) or a vehicle (like an essential question) with the overarching goal of getting my students to make an emotional connection to the ideas in the literature. I'm not surprised, as well, that the class you struggled with the most, is the one that had the best response. Kids that struggles are aching for this kind of opportunity. I chance to say, "hey, what I think matters, and someone should listen." Unfortunately, "school" often teaches students that they are to "perform" well in the lessons we design so that they can earn a good grade and move on. We reward mediocrity this way, and never encourage our students to think critically or to trust (and question) their own system of values and beliefs. We don't tell them often enough that what they think really matters.
ReplyDeleteUse the "debate" to get them there. But make your main objective to allow them the opportunities to make (and voice) the real connections that matter. Huck Finn is a tricky book. Congratulations on your success this week!
Bleh. Please forgive the multiple grammar errors! I guess I was getting passionate about what I was typing!
ReplyDeleteKrysten,
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful to see that you're are experiencing flow especially with a chatty class. I too, have a chattering class and I think the best thing with a chatty class is to harness that energy into something productive. The fact that you can remain into control is key. In my class I encourage talking aloud as long as the discussion is kept to the topic. I think that is one of the first steps to flow. I hope in the future you will enjoy this class! Awesome reflection.
Thanks everyone for your support! It's glimmers like these that make all the bad days seem so forgettable.
ReplyDelete