I can't believe this is my second to last post... all i can say is wow.
I feel like I could cry as I write this because my time at Big Spring has been incredible. At Carlisle, I enjoyed my students and I had some special ones take my heart. But here at Big Spring I can say that I truly love every student, and it is going to so hard to say good bye to them on Wednesday.
I have realized that I am the kind of teacher I want to be. I know that doesn't make much sense... but for those of you that have interacted with me, you know that I try to put humor in everything I do, I have a low bullshit tolerance, I want my students to make connections to the world around them, and I want my students to express themselves in all different ways...
I was able to do all of this while at Big Spring.
For the first time, I was able get in front of my students and not plan every single word and rehearse what I was going to say. I learned to laugh at myself and my students fed off of that confidence and humility.
Let's face it, I was incredibly laid back at Big Spring, and I probably won't be able to be AS laid back...however I find that I need to pick my battles. If I bombard my kids with little nit-picky rules they will feel like they are 5, and this is not my intention. When I have my own classroom I think my two rules will be RESPECT, and USE COMMON SENSE. I will probably adopt Courtney's little speech at the beginning of the semester which says something like this:
"We will do a lot of work, but I have high expectations for all of you. With that said, we will have a great time-- and we will laugh and joke. But the moment you go too far, you'll know it." -- some people might disagree with this teaching philosophy, but it works for me.
I hope everyone has a wonderful wrap up with their classes!
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Krysten- I'm glad that you've become exactly the teacher you want to be. I agree with you about the respect and common sense rules, it really isn't very difficult. Enjoy your last week with your students. Good luck!
ReplyDelete